Tourism  and Work

Our Services

Tourism  and Work

Work permits are required for most temporary jobs in Canada, however, there are specific situations where they are exempt, for example, they are not required to engage in international business activities where you do not directly enter the Canadian labor market.

Canada recognizes that there are labor shortages and as a result assists employers by supporting the hiring of foreign workers based on their potential to become economically established in Canada. At AKM Law we are able to help employers bring in skilled workers, and if desired, transition them into living in Canada permanently.

There are two types of work permits

Openwork permit

  • This allows for you to work for any employer in Canada except for those who are listed as ineligible (a list of ineligible employers can be found here and employers who offer striptease, erotic dance, escort service or erotic messages.
  • you are eligible for an open work permit if you fit under the following situations:
  • An international student who graduated from a DNI and eligible for Post Grad work permit program
  • A destitute student who can longer afford costs of tuition
  • Applied for PR in Canada
  • Spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker or international student
  • Spouse or common-law partner being sponsored by a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident

The government of Canada has extended the Open Work permit pilot for spouses and common-law partners applying for permanent residences from within Canada until January 31, 2019.

Refugee, protected person, a refugee claimant or their family member

  • Under an unenforceable removal order
  • Have a valid temporary permit
  • Young worker participating in special programs

These include the international experience class but there will be additional criteria that you have to meet.

Employer-specific work permit

  • For employer-specific work permits, the employer must get a positive labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) before you can apply.


This is a document that an employer in Canada may need to get before hiring a foreign worker. A positive LMIA shows that there is a need for a foreign worker to fill the job as there is no Canadian worker available to do it.

To apply for a work permit the following is needed:

  • Job offer letter
  • A contract
  • A copy of the LMIA
  • And the LMIA number

Our experienced professionals will offer you legal advice in getting your work permit and support you throughout the process. Therefore, contact us today at AKM Law and let’s start processing your temporary residency for work.


Our News & Blog

Find Immigration Lawyer in Waterloo to Help You Move From the UN

25 Sep 2019

Since the UK voted to leave the European Union, a lot of people from the UK is moving to Canada. Canada itself has one of the...

Read more

Hire Immigration Lawyer in Guelph For Permanent Resident Visa

25 Sep 2019

A lot of people immigrate to Canada each year, some as students, some as employees, some as residents. Broadly, Canada visa c...

Read more

Find Immigration Lawyer in Kitchener For Study

25 Sep 2019

Get Immigration Lawyer in Kitchener If you are moving to Canada to study in any university in Ontario, then there are chances...

Read more
Let's Start

Need Immigration Help ?