Temporary  Visas

Temporary  Visas

We may assist you with your study permits, work permits, LMIA’s, visitor visa, super visa, temporary resident permits (TRP)

Canada is made up of diverse cultures, climates, and landscape, which makes it a highly desired destination. No wonder every year, Canada gets over 35 million visitors to enjoy the different opportunities offered by the country including visiting friends and family. At AKM Law we can work with you to explore your options to visit, study or work in Canada.

A temporary resident in Canada is a foreign national that has been legally authorized to enter into the country for temporary purposes. Before a foreign national can be granted temporary resident status, they must have met the legislative requirements to enter and remain in Canada as a student, worker, visitor, or someone with a temporary work permit. Naturally, the person should be in Canada.

You can process the temporary resident application under the temporary resident visas, electronic travel authorizations (ETA), international students, temporary workers, and temporary resident permits. Of course, since their stay is temporary, they are all subject to conditions like the length of their stay.
If you have issues with getting a temporary resident status, especially if you want to enter into Canada for tourism, work, study, and so on, then you should get legal help. You can contact us as soon as possible.

Let’s look at some of the services we offer at AKM Law under the temporary resident.


When visiting Canada there can be many immigration hurdles to overcome. At AKM law we can assess your admissibility and advise if you require a visa, eta or TRP to enter.
Most people need a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA) to travel to Canada, while some people may only need their valid passport.

A visitor visa does not guarantee entry into Canada. When you arrive a CBSA officer will assess if you are eligible to enter. You may be inadmissible to Canada, which means you are not allowed to enter the country based on the some following reasons:

  • Criminal activity
  • Human rights violations
  • Organized crime

You may still be able to entry by applying for a Temporary Resident Permit. To find out if you are inadmissible please check our inadmissible information
Use our free assessment to see if you may be eligible for a visitor visa
Types of visitor visas offered by Canada

An electronic travel authorization is an entry requirement for foreign nationals travelling to Canada.

You will be required to apply for an eTA if the ALL of the following apply to you:

  • You are a citizen of a visa-exempt country, meaning that you are a citizen of a country where Canada does not require you to make an application for a Visitor visa; and
  • You are traveling to Canada by air, either to visit or to take a connecting flight.

You DO NOT need an eTA if you are entering Canada by land or sea either by bus, train, boat, automotive vehicle or cruise ship.

Your eTA will be valid for up to 5 years or until your passport expires, whichever one comes first. If your passport expires then you will need a new eTA.

There are exemptions to these requirements, for example if you are a foreign national with official Canadian Documents.  Please contact us for more information if you are exempt from an eTA .

An eta does not guarantee entry into Canada. When you arrive a CBSA officer will assess if you are eligible to enter. If you have past criminality, overstay issues, or other complication it is advisable to seek legal advice to understand your options. Please contact us for more information.

Countries requiring eTA’s

If you are a citizen from the following countries, you are required to apply for an eTA to board your flight to Canada (but not by land or sea).



When visiting Canada there can be many immigration hurdles to overcome. At AKM law we can assess your admissibility and advise if you require a visa, eta or TRP to enter.

Countries requiring a Visitor Visa

If you are a citizen of the following countries then you are required to apply for a visitor visa to enter Canada. The visitor visa application will evaluate if you meet the requirements needed to travel to Canada: 

These are basic requirements that you will need to show when applying for a visitor visa

  • Have a valid travel document
  • Be in good health
  • Have no criminal or immigration- related convictions
  • Ties to your home country, i.e. job, home, financial, assets, or family
  • Convince an immigration officer that you leave Canada at the end of your visit

The above is a non-exhaustive list of factors officers will consider when evaluating your application. Other documents may be effective to prove that you will leave at the end of your authorized stay in Canada. Please contact us to find out more about the application process and other support documents to help you application succeed.

If you are visiting Canada and you wish enroll yourself in a program that is for less than 6 months you do not require a study permit


Our News & Blog

Find Immigration Lawyer in Waterloo to Help You Move From the UN

25 Sep 2019

Since the UK voted to leave the European Union, a lot of people from the UK is moving to Canada. Canada itself has one of the...

Read more

Hire Immigration Lawyer in Guelph For Permanent Resident Visa

25 Sep 2019

A lot of people immigrate to Canada each year, some as students, some as employees, some as residents. Broadly, Canada visa c...

Read more

Find Immigration Lawyer in Kitchener For Study

25 Sep 2019

Get Immigration Lawyer in Kitchener If you are moving to Canada to study in any university in Ontario, then there are chances...

Read more
Let's Start

Need Immigration Help ?