You will be required to apply for an eTA if the ALL of the following apply to you:
You are a citizen of a visa-exempt country, meaning that you are a citizen of a country where Canada does not require you to make an application for a Visitor visa; and
You are traveling to Canada by air, either to visit or to take a connecting flight.
- Your eTA will be valid for up to 5 years or until your passport expires, whichever one comes first. If your passport expires then you will need a new eTA.
- You DO NOT need an eTA if you are entering Canada by land or sea either by bus, train, boat, automotive vehicle or cruise ship.
There are exemptions to these requirements, for example if you are a foreign national with official Canadian Documents. Please contact us for more information if you are exempt from an eTA
An eta does not guarantee entry into Canada. When you arrive a CBSA officer will assess if you are eligible to enter. If you have past criminality, overstay issues, or other complication it is advisable to seek legal advice to understand your options. Please contact us for more information.
If you are a citizen from the following countries, you are required to apply for an eTA to board your flight to Canada (but not by land or sea).
- British citizen
- British National (Overseas)
- British overseas citizen (re-admissible to the United Kingdom)
British overseas territory citizen with citizenship through birth, descent, naturalization or registration in one of the British overseas territories of:
- British Virgin Islands
- Cayman Islands
- Falkland Islands (Malvinas)
- Pitcairn Island
- Saint Helena
- Turks and Caicos Islands
- British Subject with a right of abode in the United Kingdom
- Brunei Darussalam
- Czech Republic
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China, must have a passport issued by Hong Kong SAR.
- Israel, must have a national Israeli passport
- Republic of Korea
- New Zealand
- Papua New Guinea
- Romania (electronic passport holders only)
- San Marino
- Solomon Islands
- Taiwan, must have an ordinary passport issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taiwan that includes the personal identification number
- United Arab Emirates
- United States, lawful permanent resident of
- Vatican City State, must have a passport or travel document issued by the Vatican.